For your garden to look neat, organized and attractive, you need to prune your plants regularly. This applies to perennial species in particular, such as hostas and heucheras. This involves use of tools such as hand clippers, shovel and gardening trowel.
Here are some guidelines for pruning heucheras:
• Use hand clippers to cut off unattractive, infected or dead flower stems and foliage. Cut these parts down to the base without disturbing the crown of the plant.
It is better to prune coral bells during early spring or late winter when they start growing again. Cut off any foliage that dies during this growth phase.
• Mix one part of bleach with three parts of water to make a clear solution. Alternatively, you can use a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol having equal quantities of both.
Dampen a clean rag with this solution. Sterilize your hand clippers by cleaning its blades with this rag. Do the same with other tools such as garden trowel and shovel.
• Any heuchera flowers that start fading need to be pinched or cut off. This pruning technique is referred to as deadheading. It facilitates better growth of flowers in coral bell plants.
• After pruning your heucheras, make sure you don’t leave any clippings around the plants. This can attract pests such as slugs and black vine weevils which chew on the foliage of these plants, causing leaf damage.
These clippings may also include infected flower stems which may spread diseases among your plants if left lying around them. You can either keep these clippings in waste can or mix them with organic matter such as compost.
Precautions While Pruning Your Plants
Pruning is an important task in garden maintenance, regardless of whether you are planting hostas, heucheras or any other species. You need to take certain precautions while pruning your plants. Some of those have been mentioned below:
• You should know the right usage of your garden tools. Using them carelessly may even end up hurting you! It is also necessary to clean the tools after every use so that your plants stay free from diseases.
• If there are any electrical lines passing through your garden, stay away from those while pruning your plants.
• Wear gloves while doing any gardening work.